Before you Start
Read the read-aloud version, Animals of the Arctic, to students before they read this book to introduce them to the characters and the setting of the Arctic.
Skill Level: For students to read this book independently with the support of the lesson they need to be able to:
- Have speech-to print-match.
- Count syllables in words.
- Usebeginning sound information: /f/, /r/, /w/, /p/, /b/
- Recognize high-frequency words: can, you, see, the, it, is, like, us, too, white
- Use the illustrations to predict what a word says.
- Participate in a guided reading of the book with the teacher.