Help for the Red Panda Cubs
Before you Start
Before Reading Activity
Watch the mini-documentary on the red panda to build background knowledge about the forest habitat as a setting.
Skill Level: For students to read this book independently they need to be able to:
- Recognize high-frequency words: want, to, they, go, for, play, goes look, are, down, says, their
- Sound out (decode) words that have a closed syllable pattern: VC ,CVC, CCVC, CCVC
- Use short vowel sounds (a,e,i,o,u) and long /e/ spelled ee, to read words.
- Use the illustrations to confirm what a word says.
- Participate in word work activities with the teacher.
Purpose: Post and read these statements with students to set a purpose for reading.
- I can sound out words I don’t know.
- I can connect the words with the pictures and what I know to make inferences.
- I can retell parts of a story.
- Letter cards for word chain (vowels: a, i, o, u; consonants: c, b, t, h, p, ch, s, ck, r) or wipe-off board and marker. Print the vowel letters in a different color from the consonants.
- Color copy of the book on the computer screen.
- Individual black and white or color copies of the book for each student.
- Individual word cards with the sequence words (first, next, then, after that, finally) and connecting words (but, so, because).